Saturday, July 26, 2008

Robin and the 7 Hoods: The Rat Pack Film Becomes A Broadway Musical

robin7hoods

Robin and the 7 Hoods
is coming to Broadway. Here are a couple of excerpts from the Broadway website:
A new musical adaptation of the 1964 Rat Pack film Robin and the 7 Hoods has set its sights on a Broadway debut in Spring 2010. Directed and choreographed by three-time Tony Award nominee Casey Nicholaw (Spamalot, The Drowsy Chaperone and the upcoming To Be or Not to Be), the production will showcase the classic songs from Sammy Cahn and James Van Heusen, such as “My Kind of Town,” “Come Fly with Me” and “Call Me Irresponsible.”

A Prohibition-era reimagining of the tale of Robin Hood, Robin and the 7 Hoods starred Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr., Bing Crosby, Peter Falk and Barbara Rush, trading Sherwood Forest for a gangland Chicago riddled with mobsters. When racketeer Robbo (Sinatra) refuses to surrender his territory to a corrupt sheriff and new mob boss (Falk), Chicago's worst go gunning for him. When a surprising rainfall of illicit funds comes his way, Robbo donates the ill-earned money to a local orphanage and quickly becomes the toast of the town. As the mob war simultaneously rages on, Robbo forms an alliance with the orphanage's director (Crosby) and a smooth pool player (Martin) and tries to come out of it all alive.
Click on the above link to read the whole article. Many films are being turned into Broadway musicals. I guess it was about time that one of the Rat Pack flicks found its way to stage. I hope it's going to be good. I've been a fan of mob movies and the Rat Pack since I can remember. I really enjoyed this movie. I hope the musical does it justice. Let me know what you think.


8 comments:

Nancy Sinatra Fan said...

I love musicals! I can't wait to see this one then. I'm so happy. :-)

Keith said...

Me too. I hope they do a good job with it. I think they will.

dino martin peters said...

Hey pallie Keith, as we have discussed at the Dinopad...wonderin'who wills be picked to play the Dinorole...

Keith said...

I know. I do wonder who will. I'm not sure if they will hire name stars for these roles or not.

Nostalgia Kinky said...

Hope it turns out to be a good one...

Keith said...

I feel the same way, Jeremy. I've got my fingers crossed.

sushay said...

I'm not a musicals fan but this is one I will definetly go to see!

Keith said...

Hey Sue. I'd like to be there myself.