Monday, October 11, 2010

What Is It About A Man With a Mustache

Are you a fan of mustaches/moustaches (both are correct spellings)? I hear a lot of mixed reaction from both men and women on this. Some love them, while others don't. Growing up I always considered mustaches something very manly. When you were able to grow facial hair, it was something you did. It was a sign of being a man. Not every man in my family had facial hair, but many of them did. I would see a lot of men with either just a mustache or they would pair it with a beard or a goatee.

Then it was like one day a man was not suppose to have any hair on his face. His skin was to be as smooth as a baby's bottom. I knew guys who revolted against this and kept their facial hair. I've noticed over the last few years that facial hair is making a comeback. Maybe it's not everywhere, but it sure has around these parts. Plus there are many male Hollywood celebs who are ditching the razor and showing off what God gave them.

I'll admit that I haven't always had facial hair. I shaved for years. I do have it now. I'll change it up depending on my mood and the season.
I'm not saying every man should have it. It doesn't make you any less of a man not to have a mustache or something else. It hasn't always been culturally acceptable around the world throughout the ages. Some religions approve of it, while there are others that want you clean shaven. Some women love a man with facial hair, while there are other women who can't stand it. Plus depending on your job, it isn't always allowed. I'm pretty much a live and let live guy about it. I do know that personally I love it.

So what are your thoughts on facial hair on a man? Do you like it? If you're a man, do you have any sort of facial hair? How does your significant other react to it? If you're a woman, do you have an opinion on it or not? Let me know what you think. I wanted to share a few of my favorite men who have had a mustache.

Ernest Hemingway:

alfred-eisenstaedt-author-ernest-hemingway-at-cuban-fishing-village-like-the-one-in-book-the-old-man-and-the-sea

Burt Reynolds:

282353-burt-reynolds-dans-les-annees-70-637x0-3

Charles Bronson:

bronson-charles2

Teddy Roosevelt:

theodoreroosevelt_20084603_std

Sean Connery:

Connery

Tom Selleck & Sam Elliot:

ShadowRiders

Billy Dee Williams:

Billy Dee Williams

38 comments:

Thomas Pluck said...

Full beard. A neatly trimmed one, not that "I'm too ironic to shave" hipster crap.

solamar7 said...

Love ALL these guys!!

La sonrisa de Hiperion said...

Grandes actores, de grandes películas. Como siempre un placer pasar por tu casa.

Saludos y un abrazo.

yyam said...

Hmmm...interesting choice of topic. I like my men clean shaven actually. :)

erika sorocco said...

I don't know; I've never been a fan of the mustache look myself! :/

Stéphanie said...

Great pictures !
http://prettydarling.canalblog.com/

Syed said...

I've had a mustache for ages now, can't quite imagine myself without one. I just wish I could grow a proper beard!

BaronessVonVintage said...

I'm a fan of the William Powell mustache. Not a fan of the FUBAR handlebar 'stach ;)

Oh to Be a Muse said...

i'm not really a mustache fan, but it works for some men because that's just what we're used to seeing...like burt has to have a mustache!

http://ohtobeamuse.com

Couture Carrie said...

Indeed!
Especially loving Tom Selleck!

xoxox,
CC

www.janetteria.com said...

I am not a huge fan of mustache, but my daddy have a mustache and he is handsome; if he cut of this; will miss his mustache. :)

Anonymous said...

I love moustaches...Leave the clean shaven for the boys...Thank you for stopping by,hope all is well...

Yolanda Barker said...

A friend said to me that he reckons girls who go for moustached men have Daddy complexes. "What if your Dad didnt have a moustache?" I asked him. He didn't reply.

Great blog you have hear - your link list on the right hand side is incredible! If you feel like browsing, do check out mine. I'm a documentary film maker and I blog about what I find interesting, and inspiring. You might like it.

http://yolandabarkersblog.blogspot.com/

Peace,

Y

k said...

no moustaches for me! I even think we are past the fad of goatees...I like either a clean shaven face or a 5 o'clock shadow - some stubble is kind of sexy sometimes!

Village

ellie said...

Sam Elliot is the winner in my book. Its funny, I remember my little brother asking for lamb chop side burns from the barber. He so could not wait to grow his own. Now he's got himself a neck beard, which seems to be the rage..even with Aaron Johnson. My older brother was always Mr. Cool Amish boy style with the thin sideburns that reached his chin. My brothers were so..and still happy with facial hair. I know that's not the case with lots of girls my age. But I guess I always enjoyed playing with the chest hair on my uncle when I was little. I still remember calling him the wooly bear. And I have a dad who could go for the Grizzly Adams award. I dunno. Mustaches are just natural to me..when it comes to males.

Stefanie Valentine said...

Hmm difficult, I like moustaches on some men, and they look especially dashing. But I don't like kissing a man with a 'tache, I find the hair irritating and tickly! So smooth for my man!

Oh and thank you for your very sweet comment on my post!
x

Anonymous said...

My dad has a mustache. He is pretty amazing. So i think mustaches are amazing :)

Melissa Hafting said...

I prefer no mustache I love clean shaven men :)

Unknown said...

I like those manly men. Thanks so much for the note.

Unknown said...

haha, i dont like too much




xoxo

simplychic said...

i can honestly go either way when it comes to mustaches, but i think i lean more towards guys without them.

Zuzana said...

Absolutely prefer a man with a mustache and a beard. My ex boyfriend had one and there is nothing more sexy than that.;)
I still miss the way it felt when he kissed me.;)
Love the great collection of handsome men in your post as well.
xoxo

Lee Oliveira said...

I am too young to wear a mustache.. but I remember my dad wearing of years..
LOx

rouli said...

cool stylin:)

hope u re doin well!

kss

www.thebeautifulandthehard.blogspot.com

Audrey Allure said...

I think it really depends on the man. Some men can pull it off, others can't :)

Unknown said...

These guys do know how to have one. For sure. Thanks so much for visiting.

MY REPUBLIC OF FASHION said...

I have to say, I am not really into moustaches. But apparently they are back in at the moment. :)SarahD

Allison said...

I'm generally not a moustache fan at all, because I think it makes most men look kind of creepy, but I'll take it on Sean Connery or Burt Reynolds any day! :) Great post! Hope all is well with you, Keith!

Josie said...

Personally, I don't like mustaches... A little scruff is okay but I like my boys clean-shaven!
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

B a la Moda said...

It must be sexy for some but I don´t like it at all!

xoxo
B* a la Moda

bravegrrl said...

i love facial hair on a man, especially a full beard :)

Bob G. said...

Keith:
When I was younger, I sported various moustaches, and then a full but close beard...
Now, as I'm past 50 and have more gray hair than brown, clean-shaven for now.
Thene again, shaving with a blade has it's own appeal sometimes.

Good pictures.

Winnie said...

Personally? No. But I have to admit they do look pretty great on some guys!

Marcia B. said...

Something about the moustache adds character, a certain appeal...

Anonymous said...

I agree, mustaches are manly and should be kept on a man. So long as they're not too wild and properly maintained.

But there are some men who look better without, like George Clooney and Jude Law. They just look weird with facial hair.

FashionJazz said...

Hmmm, Im not really a fan..I dont know why....but I have never really liked facial hair although some guys do look really hot : )
Its almost the wknd, yey! Hope you are doing well and have a awesome day xx

NENSA MOON said...

I love charles Bronson, but not because of his mustache... i just a fan his film!

thanks for sharing.
wish you the best!
nensa

Liz S said...

Oh, god--I cannot tell you how much I love facial hair!!! I love moustaches and I love beards and (in some cases) large sideburns.

But I do think it suits some more than others. Our friend has had a large bushy beard and moustache all his life and one day shaved it off--he looked ridiculous and had a large double chin even though slim--he was born to have a beard.

My husband cannot grow good facial hair so looks strange when he tries to grow it. As much as I'd love him to look good with it, he just doesn't! :(